Skip to content

What’s Up At My House | GBGV

May 10, 2013

On the weekend I got mail, yay! I won some bookmarks over at Peggy’s Pet Place and they arrived.  Now this is really great because I don’t have to read my books all in one sitting anymore!  Thank you, Peggy! Stop by and take a sniff around her site when you have a chance, she is very into pet health and fitness which we feel is so very important!

bookmarks

Spring has finally arrived here in Minnesota…we are celebrating a week with no snow today! I spent the first couple days of the week just hanging out in the yard, sniffing the grass, enjoying the warm sunshine on my fur and relaxing on my dog cot on the deck. Rain moved in late Wednesday, but we needed some of that so we don’t mind. The grass, plants and trees are starting to turn green as well.

nice weather

My sister Katie has had an issue with dragging her back left foot for some time now but it has gotten worse and she actually wore the claws on the two middle toes down to the quick.  We feared it was a neurological disorder but mom had Katie to the vet where they took x-rays and did lots of tests and determined it is just arthritis. They say she has the hips of a young dog which is wonderful but she has arthritis in her paws and some of her back leg joints, so she is trying some new pills to see if it improves and she may go to physical therapy if it does not get better. In the meantime, she is wearing a shoe on the paw that drags to hopefully help the claws grow back. She has one heavy duty shoe for longer walks and a Pawz shoe for shorter walks.  She is totally embarrassed when people notice her shoe but mom can’t find any white dog shoes…I wonder why that is???  My friend Sugar gave us the tip to put some baby powder in the Pawz shoe and that has sure been great advice! Thanks Sugar! Sugar wears Pawz a lot and on all paws. Katie is turning 11 next month but she still loves walking and playing so mom does not want to leave her behind. She walks fine with a shoe on even on our 2 hour walks, so we will just keep walking.

Katie was embarrassed so she did not want her face in the photo.

Katie was embarrassed so she did not want her face in the photo.

Wednesday was my spa day…ugh…I so prefer being shaggy and smelly but mom likes me all fancied up. Since I am a new driver I am not allowed to have the radio on when I drive…upps…mom busted me with the tunes cranked, howling along to the music as I was leaving for my spa appointment!  My friend Miss Harper Lee asked if I had a license…of course I do! I got it back in February!

singing in the car

Emily at the spa was so nice as always but it is still a stressful few hours for this pup. When I got home mom had to take an after pic and then I went in the house and just crashed! It does feel good to have lots of my coat stripped off but I could really do without that awful clean dog smell. Mom says I am so nice and soft so she snuggles even more than usual with me. I guess it is worth it going to the spa!

My after the spa photo - looking good I think!

My after the spa photo – looking good I think!

My after the spa, afternoon nap zzzzz...

My after the spa, afternoon nap zzzzz…

The last piece of news that I have is that the wabbits are out! I think they sensed spring too and they are hopping all over the place.  I have been shagging them out from under the Pine Tree across the street every 2 days or so, that is so exciting! I just love wabbits. Squirrels are pawsome too but I can’t seem to catch them.

The best spot to find wabbits on my street!

The best spot to find wabbits on my street!

follow-up-friday-300x155Today I am going to join in the Follow up Friday blog hop sponsored by Jodi at Heart Like A Dog and cohosted this week by Misty. This is the blog hop that lets you wrap up your week and leads you right into the weekend!

fitDogFridayI am also joining in the FitDog Friday blog hop sponsored by SlimDoggy, Peggy’s Pet Place and To Dog With Love as staying fit and healthy is a priority at my house.

45 Comments leave one →
  1. May 10, 2013 06:06

Wow do you ever have A LOT of news!!! We hope that Katie’s foot is ok and we love those shoes that you and Sparkle have! Have a great day! Barks and licks and love, Dakota

2. May 10, 2013 06:07

Poor Katie – hopefully she’ll feel a bit better now with her boot on. Have a wonderful weekend!

3. mollieandalfie permalink
    May 10, 2013 06:10

You have been busy ..looking good after your spa day :) Poor Katie hope her foot gets better real soon. xxooxx

Mollie and Alfie

4. May 10, 2013 07:24

You do look adorable after Spa Day Emma…They just neatened you up a bit but you’re still “you” :) I think it’s great that Katie’s hips are still strong at her age and as long as her new shoes work she should be able to keep walking for a long time to come…One purple shoe is a fashion statement and she could become a trendsetter TGIF!

• May 10, 2013 09:08

She might feel better thinking of the shoe as a fashion statement, I will let her know.

5. May 10, 2013 07:44

Hi Emma,

Great follow-up, thanks so much for joining us.

Sorry to hear about Katie’s foot, that must have really hurt her, but hopefully the stuff the Vet gave her will help and she will feel better. In the meantime, I’m glad mom found a solution so that Katie can continue to enjoy her walks!

And I’m super glad to hear you had a week with no snow!!

Have a great weekend!

• May 10, 2013 09:09

The dragging paw thing will be forever at this point, so we just need to find the right combination of meds and supplements to maybe help her drag it less or try physical therapy. Snow free is great in May!

6. May 10, 2013 07:48

Emma, thanks for sharing all your news – sounds like a pretty busy week. Love Katie’s purple shoe and agree with Giz, it can be a new fashion statement. Our dog Becca had arthritis in her feet too, but I couldn’t get her to wear any booties. Thanks for joining our Blog Hop!

• May 10, 2013 09:10

Mom hopes that doesn’t happen to me because I would not wear them either but Katie is pretty easy going with that kind of stuff.

7. May 10, 2013 07:51

YAY for no snow in one week and for the bookmarks. Hope Katie’s foot is feeling better.

• May 10, 2013 09:10

Her paw is much better but she has to keep wearing the shoe or her nails will wear down again.

8. May 10, 2013 08:03

Woof! Woof! So glad to hear MN weather is getting better … hope it stays warm so you guys can enjoy outdoors with mom. OH1 I’m glad mu suggestion works. It’s a matter of getting used to it but it sure helps (a lot). Happy Friday! and can’t wait for my mom to meet your mom on BlogPaws. She’s bringing a big luggage so for sure she’ll bring her running shoes with her. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

• May 10, 2013 09:11

Mom is on the fence about her running gear but most likely she will bring it with her…she will get antsy if she doesn’t walk or run in the morning.

9. May 10, 2013 08:06

It is all so very exciting! (especially the rabbits). I think Katie’s one purple shoe will set new style trend, soon all of the dogs will be wearing thems.

love,
    Reuben

• May 10, 2013 09:14

Maybe it will be trending…purple paw fever with dogs! Saw 5 wabbits on my walk this morning…love them!

10. May 10, 2013 08:22

Ahhh, rabbits. Torrey tried really hard to catch a few of those too. Emma, You look great and those pics are wonderful.

• May 10, 2013 09:13

Thank you. I have caught over 20 wabbits in my own yard…I love it but it makes mom sad. It is just my instinct.

11. May 10, 2013 09:35

Well, you’ve had a big week! Cool bookmarks and you look terrific. Have a great weekend watching those pesky wabbits!

12. May 10, 2013 10:19

Nice to have a nap after a spa visit. And your sister might set a new trend with that single purple paw. She shouldn’t be embarrassed – it’s stylin’!

We read both Peggy’s books and they’re great!

• May 10, 2013 14:26

Poor Katie just doesn’t like looking odd, she likes to be a fine lady, oh well!

13. May 10, 2013 11:29

So glad you got the bookmarks, that is fun to see you posing with them! You look fantastic after the spa. Kelly finds it stressful too and barks and pulls and nips at the water coming out of the hose and the air coming out of the blow dryer, it’s quite an ordeal. Hugs and prayers for Katie’s paw.

• May 10, 2013 14:27

Thanks for the bookmarks :) Katie’s paw is just something we will be dealing with for the rest of her life but it could be worse, so we are ok with it…just adapting with the shoe thing.

14. dogloverofmax@gmail.com permalink
    May 10, 2013 14:05

Emma, I can like seriously envision you driving! Sorry the spa was stressful for ya but look how great ya look and smell now ;) I think you should have your own pup/talk show! I can just see you as the host(est). Hugs!

• May 10, 2013 14:28

Oh I would love that…I love to be in the middle of everything, the center of the universe!

15. May 10, 2013 15:03

Those wabbits are out and about here too. Between the bunnies and the squirrels Boomer and Dottie are going nuts!

• May 10, 2013 15:24

I am worn out from watching and chasing…not I have to finally catch some!

16. May 10, 2013 17:10

Thanks for the tip about Katie’s gait changing…that it can be a sign of arthritis. I worry that Chester has it or will develop it but never having cared for an old dog I am not sure how I would tell. Now I know that this is one way.

• May 10, 2013 20:08

This is mom’s first older dog too. Her last dog was completely healthy and then one day stopped eating and a week later passed away from pancreatic cancer. Katie is healthy as a horse except for the arthritis but she has had it for some time, lots of stiffness when she would get up, the first few minutes of a walk were hard until she warmed up but Metacam helped that, now we have to get rid of the foot drag.

17. May 10, 2013 22:40

Hope Katie will be okay! And you’re looking awful good there Emma!

• May 11, 2013 05:58

Thanks! Katie will be fine, we just have to get the right treatment to help her stop dragging her paw.

18. May 10, 2013 22:44

Look at how pretty you are! Don’t worry, the doggie smell will return shortly :D

19. May 11, 2013 05:38

OMD you look sooooo gorgeous after your spa day!! I always get loads more snuggles when I’ve had my fur done too but I agree about the ‘clean’ smell – luckily it doesn’t last very long.
    Katie looks pretty cool with her shoe on but I reckon a nice pastel colour would look better with her fur – they should make them in white or cream and pretty pinks & yellows for you lucky blonde pups.

• May 11, 2013 06:00

Shoes are always in bright colors, I guess they want humans to notice them and buy them. I get more snuggles than usual too right after the spa but I still prefer my usual dog smell ;)

20. May 11, 2013 07:31

You look beautious Miss Emma! Oh poor Katie, we sure hope those pills help her out bunches!

21. May 11, 2013 12:58

You look so pretty Ems!
    Hope Katie’s foot is ok xx

• May 11, 2013 16:16

It will be a life long issue now but we are working it out.

22. May 11, 2013 14:24

Poor Katie. I hope the new pills help her and the booties help her nails grow back.

You look nice after your spa day.

I heard on the Weather Channel this morning something about snow in Minnesota and northern Michigan. :)

• May 11, 2013 16:17

Some flurries up north and the fishing opener is messed up because so many lakes are still frozen but here where we are it is just cold but no snow.

23. May 13, 2013 03:35

Typist loves the shoes and think Katie should be waring them with pride. Not everyone could pull off purple shoes!

Trackbacks