K9 Kamp Week One – The Results | GBGV | FitDog Friday

Hold on to your ears…this is a FitDog Friday and K9 Kamp post all rolled up into one!

FitFriday Prize

A few weeks back I won a giveaway on FitDog Friday. I won a package from Pruven which just arrived at my house the other day. The arrival was actually perfect timing and 2 of the three items in the box were poop bags in a holder that attaches to my least or a belt loop or whatever mom might be carrying. Why is this good timing? Well, with K9 Kamp in full swing we are hitting the streets a lot more which means that our systems are being sparked to produce more which means that we can definitely use some more “poop bags” at our house!  These little hanging thingies are really quite handy. As you can see, there was also a pretty while and purple bandana in the box. Unfortunately, mom does not think purple is a good color for me but the real issue is that I tend to get pretty messy every time I go outside, so the bandana is going to be worn by my sister who looks great in purple and somehow manages to stay clean almost all the time! Thank you to FitDog Friday and Pruven for my prize!

American Dog Magazine

The second piece of news is that I am in the American Dog Magazine, spring edition that just came out on May 30th. My photo along with my facebook page are in the Famous Dogs with Facebook Friends article.  I am so excited and so happy that mom got me my own copy! Lots of my pals from Facebook are also in the magazine this issue! Go to their website to find out where to get your copy!

Pooped Out

Now for K9 Kamp. If you arent’ familiar with K9 Kamp, stop by Kol’s Notes or Peggy’s Pet Place for more information! Oh boy, we worked hard this week and I am plum tuckered out! Our challenge has been to add 30 – 40 mins to our regular work out schedule 3-4 times a week. We did it, we are not quitters and mom figured out that it is pretty easy to add in that time.  One day we drove to a small lake in our area and walked around it to get in our extra time but the other 2 days we just added 15 mins to our midday and even walks and it was barely noticeable.  Even my sister Katie had no trouble keeping up.

kool kollar

Now for some fitness advice that many humans may not be thinking about. When you look at my sister and me, everyone feels sorry for Katie in the summer with her thick furry coat, well, that is so WRONG! That thick furry coat not only provides nice insulation for her in the winter but in the summer it keeps the heat off her skin! She is also super tall, so she is far from that hot pavement that radiates heat. Then there is me, I don’t do real well in the summer heat. The main problem is that I am low to the ground and all that heat just hits me and makes me too warm. To combat this problem we have 3 solutions. First, we try to do most of our workouts in the early morning hours. Second, I sometimes jump in my pool before a walk or we walk where there are places that I can go swimming along the way. Third, I have my trusty Kool Kollar. Mom bought these for Katie and me a few years back. Katie never really need hers but I use mine a lot in the summer. When mom has it full of ice mine holds about half an hour whereas Katie’s holds almost an hour…proof that I am much warmer! The collar works by allowing the ice to melt on my chest as I walk along, cooling the blood supply to my heart. There are different varieties of “cool collars” out there, we just happen to have Kool Kollar’s product and it works great for me and it looks snazzy too in the bright colors!

Stay cool and stay fit! Join in the K9 Kamp challenge running through June 21! We would love to hear what you are doing to stay fit! I have also added the Slim Doggy Fitness/Calorie widget to my sidebar. Katie and I have tested it out and it is amazingly accurate! Give it a try to see how your dog is doing with the calories in/calories out count!

fitDogFridaySince K9 Kamp is all about staying fit, I am of course joining in the FitDog Friday blog hop sponsored by  SlimDoggyPeggy’s Pet Place and To Dog With Love Stop by and see what other dogs are doing to stay fit!

Comments

Mom would love to have a group of people with dogs that wanted to get fit but the people we know always whimp out because of the weather or being to tired, etc but at our house there is no whimping out :)

Hi Emma, wow, lots of news from you today. You did a great job for k9Kamp this week. We have to get out there today and step it up. I’m glad you mentioned that Kool Kollar – that looks like a great idea. I’m a yellow lab, so I don’t get too hot in the summer, but my sis Maggie is a black lab and she just absorbs all that heat from the sun, so she can’t do to much in our hot CA summers. Maybe one of these will help her. Thanks for joining the Hop (and adding the widget – hope your fans find it useful!)

We are totally impressed with the widget – amazingly accurate! Get a Kool Kollar, it does really help out!

They are great and there are other brands out there, we just happened to find this one first and it works for us.

That cool collar is great, never seen those before, although I am a stunning Blond I do get hot. I don’t like being all hot and sticky cos you never know who’z ya gonna meet out.:) Never can have enough Poop bags..BOL.. Have a wonderful weekend Emma xx0xx

Mollie and Alfie

Emma, Congratulations on being featured in American Dog Magazine! That’s super cool!

I’m all tired after reading about you exercising and going for walks though… it’s not a kitty’s life! I need a nap now!

Purrs

You sound just like my cats, they see me leave on a walk and take a nap until I get back, have snacks with me and then nap again…nap, nap, nap :)

Thanks, I will hit the road again after my nap…just keep pawing my way forward…hopefully towards the snack supply drawer ;)

It sure is a big one and holds a lot of water! Mom used it for her marathons so it should hold me for 26.2 of walking!

4. peggyspetplace says

Emma you’re doing great! Kelly has the same problem with the heat. She has a new harness that is kind of like your cooling collar, and in the winter it can keep you warm and in the summer it can keep you cool. We got it this winter, so I’m looking forward to trying it in the summer. Congrats on your adorable picture in the magazine!

Thanks! I am good in the winter, just get snowballs between my toes sometimes but I handle the MN cold well, just not so much the heat!

Glad to see your excellent advice for keeping cool. The East Coast storms are bringing cooler temps but I know we’ll have summer one day so I can take advantage of your tips.

I am not sure if we will see hot weather this summer in MN…pretty sad when mom considers turning on the heat in the morning in June! I guess it is better than a big heat wave, though!

Emma, how could anyone say that you wouldn’t look good in purple?! That is just ridiculous as you would be pretty in any color. I love your Kool Kollar. Being in Florida, that would be a great thing for me to have! I may have to run over and buy one.
    Have a fabulous weekend.

We ordered them online…mom likes me in red or orange, my sister gets the pink and purple, that’s ok. You should get one, they really work well on us short ones.

Congrats on your prize you won, Emma, and great that it is coming in handy for you; and on getting in American Dog Magazine! I am impressed that you are easily adding in your 30-40 minutes/day to your workouts several times/week. That Kool Kollar looks really neat too, I’m glad you showed that so I could see exactly how that one works. You had quite the week, no wonder you were so tired!

Yep, this is one tired dog! I think the extra exercise was the easiest part of the week! Get yourself a Kool Kollar if you have trouble when it gets hot out, they really are great!

8. Hawk aka BrownDog says

Hi Y’all!

Thanks for the info on the cool collar. I’ll get my Human to get me one!

Y’all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

This one came with gel packs too so you can use it indoors without the we mess but we only use it with ice outside.

Now if only I could find the fortune to go with the fame…I would be stocking up on dog treats for me and all my friends!

Congrats on having your photo and Facebook page in a magazine! Having short dogs myself, I know the dangers of heat radiating off of the ground too well. I’ve thought about getting some kind of cool collar for Chester and Gretel but we couldn’t use it on hikes – the water/dirt combination would make it a little mudball.

Mud ball is my middle name, so for me it doesn’t make a difference :) They also come with little freezer pack things that you can insert instead of ice but we think the ice lasts longer and I think you can order extra inserts if that is something you want to use.