Welcome to the first day of #DogWalkingWeek and the blog hop hosted by myself and Cascadian Nomads to celebrate National Walk Your Dog Week! I’ve decided to start off with some simple tips for changing your walking routine that will make walking more interesting and fun for both you and your dog.
I think one reason people don’t walk their dogs is they find it boring. If you always have the same walking routine it will get boring. You would be amazed at how interested your dog will be with just some simple changes. Humans need change too, something to keep you interested in walking. Remember these feet from last week? Well, they made for an interesting walk. It was a short walk, but it was fun for Mom and me and fun is important.
- Walk on the other side of the street. This may not seem important to humans, but trust me, for a dog’s nose, it is like a whole new walk with all the different smells.
- Walk the opposite direction. Depending on wind and weather conditions, the smells will change, so just a different direction puts new smells in our path.
- Vary your route and try to not walk the same route more than once a week.
- Leave your electronic devices at home, or turn them off. As a human, take note of what is going on around you. It may surprise you how much you can learn about your neighbors and neighborhood if you keep walking by paying attention.
- Try walking in a nice rain. Put on rain gear and head out. If you set your mind to it, it is actually really fun. Mom says it makes humans feel like a little kid again.
- Go out in the snow. There is nothing more quiet and peaceful than making the first tracks in fresh snow.
- Drive to a new location near your house and walk there.
- October 1st-7th will be the Walk Your Dog Week Blog Hop, Challenge and Giveaway. This blog hop will be for bloggers to share as many posts on walking tips as they want, challenging readers to walk their dogs everyday. Bloggers, readers and followers are invited to enter the random drawing giveaway through the PromoSimple widget (available October 1st.) Entrants will accept the Walk Your Dog Week Challenge and commit to walking their dog everyday through a blog post comment. They will then share an inspirational photo or video via blog post or social media during the wrap up using the #DogWalkingWeek hashtag. Old photos with the hashtag added cannot be accepted. Facebook shares must be on the wall of Cascadian Nomads or My GBGV Life. Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+ and/or Vine shares must use #DogWalkingWeek and tag Cascadian Nomads or My GBGV Life.
- October 9th- 12th Walk Your Dog Week Wrap-Up Blog Hop and #DogWalkingWeek social media share: How did National Walk Your Dog Week go? Did you walk your dog everyday? Share the highs and lows, live and learn, as well as how to continue walking your dog beyond Walk Your Dog Week via blog hop post or social media. The random prize winner drawn on October 13th will have to have shared a #DogWalkingWeek wrap-up photo or video in a blog post or on social media or the prize is forfeited and a new winner will be drawn.
*Always consult a doctor before beginning or changing your exercise program. Always consult a veterinarian before beginning or changing your dogs exercise program. By entering this contest, entrants agree that they are fully aware of the risks of walking/exercising with or without dogs and agree to hold no parties involved in this contest liable for any consequences.