We love winter at our house. Heavens, since we have it, we may as well enjoy it which is why I put together my top 10 reasons to walk in the winter. It is sad that most humans dread winter and therefore don’t take their dogs walking much in the winter because it is a great time of year to walk.
One does have to use common sense in the winter. When it is seriously below zero, walks are short, certain breeds may need winter coats, young and older dogs may also need some winter gear. Don’t forget to dress your human warm as well. My sisters and I don’t wear coats, but last year with the extreme cold and Bailie being a puppy, she did have to dress up. This year, she is fine in just her fur. In the extreme cold we also wear PAWZ boots because the cold burns our paws. Normally, unless it is more than -10 F, we do our usual hour walks with no problems.
Let’s get to my list of the top 10 reasons to walk in the winter, all of which are good reasons, but I’m saving my favorite for last!
10. Since most humans don’t walk in the winter, or walk very little, there are less dogs on the road which means if you have a reactive dog, it is much easier to go for walks.
9. It keeps your dog from being bored. What dog wants to be cooped up in the house all winter?
8. Many humans get depressed in the winter because of the weather and lack of daylight. Getting out and exercising helps keep depression at bay.
7. No issues with additional poundage for you or your human. Keep up that walking to burn calories and you will even burn a few extra keeping your body warm! I like to see my weight stay the same all year!
6. Walking in the dark can be fun. Sure it can be dangerous, but if you are prepared, it can be really relaxing. If you walk in the dark, early in the morning, you will forget all about the walk by midday, it becomes like a dream!
5. Don’t fall for that wives tale that smells are dead in the winter. Odors are still around, but they travel differently than in warmer weather. For us dogs, it is a whole new way to sniff, and we enjoy it as much as in the warm months. Why do you think we stick our heads in the snow?
4. Getting out in the fresh air, breathing in that cold stuff actually helps clean out your body and will keep you a bit healthier. Who wants to be stuck with a cold any time of the year? It is a bit like an air exchanger, or fresh air vent for your body!
3. Snow is relaxing. It is so quiet when it is snowing and it is so fun to be the first ones to put your paws in the fresh snow!
2. Maintain your conditioning. If you worked for months on walking during warmer months, all those muscles will be gone if you don’t use them. Get out and walk to maintain your muscles.
1. My favorite reason to walk in the winter, specifically in December are the Christmas lights. Every night we walk a different route to take in lights. There are some real cool displays out there! Sure, you could drive by, but if you walk, you have the time to really take a good look. We love our evening lighting tours!
Don’t forget the giveaways!
Enter to win a Pet Gift Box, but you can also get 25% off your first one you purchase or a free first box with a subscription. Click here or the photo for more information!
Don’t miss the $200 in PayPal Cash giveaway sponsored by myself and seven other blogging friends! Click here or the photo for all the details.
I’m co hosting the FitDog Friday Blog Hop with SlimDoggy, and To Dog With Love! Please join us on Fridays to share your fitness stories with others, find new ways to have fun, and new fitness ideas too! Tell your friends to stop by as well – fit dogs are healthier, happier dogs!