Welcome to the first day of Multiple Pet Mania month and the multiple pet training tips day! I’ve never been an only pet, so I’m used to doing everything with multiple pets. My tips are only for dogs, though, as we can’t figure out how to train my cats.
My sisters and I vary greatly in age which is an added challenge when it comes to fitness. We all enjoy different things, and are at different stages in our life. Figuring out training and fitness has really just become an issue at our house since Bailie arrived. I would like to list a few simple tips for training your dogs in a multiple pet family:
- Train separately. You wouldn’t take all your human children to the same classes and sports, so why do you think it works with dogs?
- Train some activities together if they are age and interest appropriate. Bailie and I both do nose work and attend classes together.
- Don’t always train at the same time or in the same place. Take a morning or weekend class to change things up. Try practicing your training at a new time of day now and then. Just a time or location change can affect your dog’s behavior.
- Determine what each dog enjoys and train them for it. If you dog enjoys modeling, teach them modeling poses. If your dog loves obedience, work on obedience.
- If a young pup is having difficulty learning basics, enlist the older dogs to help by demonstration.
When Bailie took her Obedience 1 class she had a real hard time learning “down”. Mom came home and worked on it with Bailie by having all three of us take turns doing it. She learned it in a snap! The above video from January 2014 shows some good examples of us training together as well as separately.
It is good for each dog to get alone time, and to learn to do things without the other dogs. Make sure and schedule alone and group time for your multiple dogs!
Next up, today is the first day of the Multiple Pet Mania Photo contest. You will always find the rules and regulations by clicking on the badge in my sidebar, but I will lay them out for you here today! Read the rules and then start snapping those fun photos! Also, remember to fill out the Life With Multiple Pets Survey if you haven’t already done so.
The details for the month long photo contest are as follows:
Celebrate the first annual Multiple Pet Day, June 30th, 2015, by entering a #MultiPetDay Instagram and Twitter photo contest. We’re giving away $150 in prizes! Here’s how to enter:
- Each photo must include the Hashtag #MultiPetDay to be eligible
- Each account entering must follow @CascadianNomads @MyGBGVLife & @WagNWoofPets to be eligible
- Photos must be uploaded to the participant’s Instagram or Twitter account
- Photos must be owned by the participant’s Instagram or Twitter account
- No limit on number of photos that may be entered
- Entry photos can be real or fake but must feature more than one pet
- Photos depicting animals that are clearly unhappy or in danger will be disqualified
Don’t have an Instagram or Twitter Account?
Create one for free: It’s easy.
Enter via e-mail at email@example.com
REMEMBER: All entries must use the Hashtag #MultiPetDay and you must be following @CascadianNomads @MyGBGVLife and @WagNWoofPets. Tagging us is not required but you can do that too. We are excited to see all the multiple pet photos!
And the winners receive:
The contest grand prize is $75 PayPal Cash. Grand prize winner must have an eligible PayPal account to receive their prize in US funds. Contest sponsors are not responsible for PayPal fees, issues with or delays in prize fulfillment. Void where prohibited.
The contest second prize is a $40 Only Natural Pet gift card. Second prize winner must provide a shipping address to receive the prize. Sponsors are not responsible for shipping issues or delays in prize fulfillment. Void where prohibited.
The contest third prize is a paw print tote bag filled with sponsors choice of small goodies for multiple pets valued at approximately $35. Third prize winner must provide a shipping address to receive the prize. Sponsors are not responsible for shipping issues or delays in prize fulfillment. Void where prohibited.
Our multiple pet celebrity judges are:
The photo contest sponsors, Cascadian Nomads, My GBGV Life, and Wag’n’Woof Pets, will act as judges for this contest. Each entry will be judged on Creativity, Originality, Image Quality, and just plain ol’ multiple pet fun. Your account must be an open account so that the judges are able to view your entry. Multiple entries are welcome but please do not overdo it… with photos, not pets, of course!
Read the fine print, please:
The #MultiPetDay photo contest sponsors are Cascadian Nomads, My GBGV Life and Wag’n’Woof Pets and all prizes are provided by the sponsors. There is no purchase necessary in order to be eligible to win and is void where prohibited. This contest is open to anyone over the age of 18. One winner per household. This Contest will be open from 05/31 – 06/26/15 at 11:59pm ET. Winners will be notified with their picture showcased on Cascadian Nomads, My GBGV Life and Wag’n’Woof Pets blogs and social media accounts on or about Tuesday, 06/30/15, Multiple Pet Day, and will have 24 hours to respond to the announcement (Twitter and Instagram tags or e-mail, if applicable) before forfeiting their prize. Incomplete entries will be considered void. By entering this contest you give permission to Cascadian Nomads, My GBGV Life and Wag’n’Woof Pets to share your image on any of their Owned and Operated Properties or on any of their Social Media Accounts with credit given to you. Odds of winning depend on total number of entries received during the giveaway period. Contest and promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with PayPal, Only Natural Pet, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or other Social Media Platform.
I’m joining thePositive Reinforcement Training Week hosted by Cascadian Nomads, Rubicon Days & Tenacious Little Terrier The theme this month is training multiple pets so please hook up with blog posts, comments, and/or social media shares and conversations about the challenges of training multiple pets. Any positive reinforcement pet training is welcome on the hop.