Keep your dog or cat from becoming a lost pet statistic! There are many ways to help make sure your lost pet is returned to you safely, but sadly, many pet parents don’t think about the possibility of losing a pet! Did you know one in three pets will go missing in their lifetime, and 90% of those without identification are never found? Those are some scary numbers!
My GBGV Life received 3 Smart Pet Tags from Pet Health Locker to review. My GBGV Life receives no additional benefits for barking about Smart Pet Tags or the company. The opinions in this review are the honest opinion of My GBGV Life. Pet Health Locker is not responsible for the contents of this post.
We are a lost pet statistic family!
This silly cat in the thatched roof bird feeder was our kitty Tom. Mom adopted him from a rescue organization in Germany when he was a young fellow. He must have been an outdoor cat as he insisted on going outside. If he was not allowed to go out, he would pee and poop in the house, which is why Mom finally let him go out. He always stuck close to home, and he enjoyed his indoor/outdoor life. Mom initially left Tom in Germany when we moved because she didn’t want an outdoor cat in the USA, but in January 2008 he joined us in Minnesota.
January was a shock to him. We remember the first time Mom opened the door. He hid for like three days after experiencing the -20 temperature! It was not his climate in the winter, but once spring hit, he went out. He hung right around our yard most of the time as he had done in our yard in Germany. One evening in September 2008, he was looking at Mom through the kitchen window from the deck, and that was the last time we ever saw him. He had no identification, and no one in our neighborhood had seen him. We looked for months with no luck. Mom never wants to lose a pet again as it is a tough, tough thing to get over.
How can you help your pet be found?
All pets should be microchipped. A microchip can’t fall off, or get damaged, but it does require a special tool to read the information. Regular collar tags are nice as they can provide a phone number, pet’s name, maybe an address, but in time, most of them get pretty scratched up and hard to read. The Smart Pet Tag™ makes getting a pet’s information much easier! Smart Pet Tags come in pink or blue, and two sizes to fit dogs and cats of all sizes!
How do you set up a Smart Pet Tag?
Once you purchase your Smart Pet Tag, it is time to set it up. To get started, you will need to download the free app onto your Android or IPhone.
Using the information on the front of your tag, you create an account for your tag.
What can you store in your profile?
The app assigns each tag number their own profile, so Bailie, Madison, and I each have a profile on our app. What goes on the profile?
- Pet’s name, photo, address, and a message about the pet and their personality. The profile also has space for two owners names and phone numbers (more numbers can be added to special handling). If these are mobile numbers, anyone that finds your pet can text you a map of the pet’s current position.
- Your pet’s health records including veterinarian information, medical history, immunizations, and lab work. This feature is handy if you are traveling or moving as you have everything right there on your phone.
How does the Smart Pet Tag work?
When someone finds your pet they can either scan the tag or enter the id at yourlostpet.com. They will see the profile that you setup, read the special handling instructions, and contact the you by phone. If using a smartphone, the person can text you a map of the pet’s current position (The phone uses GPS to get it’s current location assuming they are with your lost pet), and then wait for you to pickup your pet.
Why do you need a Smart Pet Tag
If you don’t want to become a lost pet statistic, you need to make sure your lost pet is found. Most pets are found within a few miles of their own homes, and the Smart Pet Tag would make it very easy to get your pet back.
- The Smart Pet Tag information is available online 24/7/365 unlike some chip or veterinary clinics one would need to reach for a chip or traditional tag.
- Your privacy is protected as the person who finds your pet has to log on to find out your contact information and the pet’s name.
- The contact information can warn the finder of personality or health issues with your pet.
- Maybe you are not with your phone, or your battery is dead. There is the second number spot so the pet finder can contact the second number listed.
- A map of your pet’s location can easily be texted to you for quick pick up of your lost pet!
- You can combine a chip, traditional tag, and the Smart Pet Tag for added security.
How to get a Smart Pet Tag!
How can you get a Smart Pet Tag for your pet?
- Head over to PetHealthLocker to order your Smart Pet Tag and use the promo code: SAVE for 20% off and free shipping through the end of 2016!
- Enter in the giveaway widget below to win one of two Smart Pet Tags (one per winner). If there is a problem with the widget click here.