Doesn’t homemade meals for your dog sound like a great idea? What if I told you they were made fresh with wholesome ingredients, frozen, and delivered right to your doorstep? Are you interested? We were, and now we are sharing out experience with this food.
My GBGV Life received the Farmer’s Dog meals in this post to review. My GBGV Life receives no additional benefits for barking about The Farmer’s Dog products or the company. The opinions in this review are the honest opinion of My GBGV Life. The Farmer’s Dog is not responsible for the contents of this post.
The Farmer’s Dog Homemade Food For Dogs
The Farmer’s Dog sent my sisters and me two weeks of their homemade food for dogs. It arrived in two large boxes which I immediately felt the need to protect and call my own. Mom was a bit in shock, and was wondering where she would keep it all until we ate it.
We moved the boxes to the kitchen, where I helped Mom start to unpack the food. Seeing so many tasty homemade meals put a big smile on my furry face. Each package has the pet’s name, food type, and date of preparation. The feeding is one package per dog per day, so we had 42 packages.
After seeing the packaging and reading more about the food, we could tell The Farmer’s Dog really cares about not only pets, but the environment. According to the packaging, the insulation is made of cornstarch, and will dissolve in water. Mom found this hard to believe. She took the insulation packaging into the yard, got out the hose, and sure enough, in no time it was nothing more than a puddle! Pretty amazing stuff!
What Is The Food All About?
Now on to the good stuff, the food! There are three recipes to choose from, Pork, Beef, and Turkey. We opted to try them all. If you order, you can choose any or all of the recipes. The food is easy to prepare. Simply keep a package or two in the refrigerator, at mealtime cut the bag open, and squeeze out the portion you need into your dog’s bowl.
We opted to start with turkey for all. See all the good veggies and stuff in the packages of food? Although the packages look the same, the amount of food/calories in each package varies to fit each of our needs.
Tasting The Farmer’s Dog Food
As with any new food, we started mixing a portion of The Farmer’s Dog Turkey Recipe with our normal kibble. Guess what happened! We ate all The Farmer’s Dog food right down, and then “managed” to finish the regular food. It is that tasty!
I really enjoyed eating the homemade food for dogs. The taste is amazing!
Bailie is our least picky eater. She will eat almost anything. It was no different with The Farmer’s Dog, she wolfed it right down.
Her tongue doesn’t allow her to keep her feelings a secret at all!
View this post on Instagram
We are not sure. Do you think Madison, our food snob, likes her @thefarmersdog food? Turn up the volume to hear her paws rounding the corner on the wood floor, and her munching down the food. 🦃🐖🐄🐾🐾 #homemade #allnatural #healthy #pork #beef #turkey #veggies #realfood #homedelivery #dogfood #freshfrozen #personalized #humangrade #balanceddiet #foodsnob #foodue #gbgv #adogslife #frenchhound #scenthound #happyhound
What about the true food tester? Our food snob, Madison, is always reluctant to try anything new, and enjoys dining at a snails pace. Well, turn up the volume! We have a wood floor you can’t see in the video, but you can hear her “wheels” scurrying to make the corner on her way to the food bowl, where she chows down like a mad dog. If Madison is this crazy for anything, we know it has to be something super special! I think it would be safe to say she mows down this food!
Our Thoughts On The Farmer’s Dog Food
On the positive side:
- We love the taste.
- It is obviously a very good food for dogs, and it is easy for humans to serve it up.
- If you don’t want to go raw, or cook for your dog, this is a wonderful alternative.
- The packaging is tough, and doesn’t leak or tear easily.
- Food packages are flat, making them easy to store.
- No need to keep ordering. If you subscribe, they keep sending the food automatically so you never run out.
- You can have your food shipped to another address if you are away from home for a lengthy amount of time.
- There are plan options for those who want to feed The Farmer’s Dog as a part of their dogs diet, rather than their entire diet.
On the negative side:
- It is expensive. For the three of us to eat solely The Farmer’s Dog is simply too expensive.
- We travel a lot, and trying to keep meals cool on the road, especially opened packages, would be a bit of a hassle.
- For the three of us, we need a separate freezer to store the food. Our freezer doesn’t have enough space for Mom’s stuff and our food. We will keep this in mind, in case Mom does decide to put more green papers in our food budget.
Currently, we are happy with our food choice, and we will be sticking with it. If The Farmer’s Dog was less expensive and more convenient when we are traveling, it would definitely be something we would consider switching to. Thank you to The Farmer’s Dog for letting us try your homemade meals for dogs. If you would like to try The Farmer’s Dog for your pup, their website does offer 20% off your first order, and you can stop at any time.