I narrowed down my list to 10 great reasons to walk your dog. There are many more, but I decided to put a limit on the list. January is National Walk Your Dog Month, making it the perfect time to put out my list. I love to go for walks with my mom, and don’t tell my sisters, but she says I’m her favorite walking dog because I behave so well on my leash.
Why are we such fans of walks? First of all, it’s easy to maintain a schedule with walking. Once you make it a part of your morning and/or evening routine, your dog will become accustomed to and look forward to your special time together each day. You will both develop a healthy active lifestyle as a walking team. Many people and dogs can’t run, but walking is an exercise most can do.
10 Great Reasons To Walk Your Dog
- It’s great exercise for you and your dog
- Dogs love going for walks
- Walking is a perfect time to build your bond together
- Taking a nice walk reduces human and canine stress levels
- You and your pup will be in a better mood after a walk
- Socialize yourself and your dog through walking by meeting other people and their dogs
- Improve your own health, and your dog’s health
- Add to your dog’s mental stimulation by walking
- Both of you will develop an active and healthier lifestyle
- Going for a walk is free and you can do it anywhere, anytime, even in the cold and snow of winter
Sadly, only around half of dogs are walked daily, the average walk is less than twenty mins. Thirty minutes to an hour is recommended, as least a couple times a week. We walk an hour every morning and another half hour to an hour in the evening. Sending your dog into the yard is a nice thing, but it is boring especially if you only have one dog. Walks allow our bodies and minds to get some exercise, as well as our human! Happy Walking!
We are joining our friends at Living Laughing and Barking in Our Backyard is for their Nature Friday blog hop.